What is an assessment centre?
Assessment centres are often used by employers as part of the recruitment process. A group of candidates are brought together to perform various group and individual tasks usually including an interview. This gives the employer a more rounded view of the candidates than just an interview.
How to impress at an assessment centre
The key to assessment centres is being as prepared as you would be for an interview. Remember that you are being assessed against the competencies and the organisations values not against the other candidates. The assessors want to see how you perform in real situations so be yourself and join in with enthusiasm.
If you would like to practise, AssessmentDay have produced a useful Assessment Centre Guide which has information about different exercises and some examples you can download.
What's in this section?
These pages give you lots of information and advice about whats involved in assessment centres and how to prepare for them.
To help you make the best impression at an assessment centre, we give you the Employer's Perspective on what they are looking for.
There is a bank of downloadable resources where you can practise assessment centre tasks.
How we can help you
We offer lots of support to help you prepare for assessment centres, including:
- Workshops on interviews, group exercises and presentations.
- Assessment centre advice through our drop in and bookable appointments.
- 'At the assessment centre' DVD showing an actual assessment centre day (login required)
- Assessment centre advice by MyCareer Questions if you are a previous student or away from University.
- Lots of excellent books on assessment centres in our information room at the Careers Centre.
- A leaflet on preparing for assessment centres.
- If you have a disability you may find this section useful.
- A bank of resources to help you prepare for an assessment centre.
- eBooks that you can download or read online such as:
For more visit our ebooks for psychometric tests page.
20th November 2019
26th November 2019
28th November 2019