Your PhD has opened the way to a whole range of opportunities. Although academia is a popular choice, the majority of postgraduate researchers choose to work outside of higher education, often in areas where they can use their specialist knowledge and skills.
If you are undecided about which path you would like your career to take it is helpful to assess your skills, experience and values. Also consider:
- Do you want a career directly related to your PhD field?
- What type of environment are you suited to?
- Consider what sectors would interest you, ie. commercial, public, not-for-profit, etc
- Are you interested in research careers outside academia?
- Do you want your career to take a totally new direction?
If at any stage you would like to discuss your career plans and develop a strategy to achieve them, your faculty Career Consultant will be happy to talk with you: just book an appointment.
Find out more
Jobs.ac.uk: Career Planning for PhDs
Vitae: What do Researchers Do?
Science Careers: Career Trends Industry or Academia, Where do I Fit in?
Jobs.ac.uk: 10 Career Paths for PhDs
Vitae: Career Stories Planned Happenstance
Research Councils UK: Case Studies Careers in Research
Jobs.ac.uk: Career Development Toolkit for Researchers
Jobs.ac.uk: How to Develop a Portfolio Career in Academia