Leeds Internship Programme
Leeds Internship Programme
Looking for fresh new skills and innovative thinking in your business?
Have a project on hold simply because no-one has time to work on it?
Our Leeds Internship Programme could be just what you need!
- The Leeds Internship Programme is coordinated by the Work Placement Team here at the Careers Centre.
- We provide a fully supported service to local and national organisations who can offer project-based internships for our undergraduate students over the summer or for our new graduates after graduation and over the winter period.
- We are also keen to place students into year placement positions and are happy to discuss this with you.
- Our team can provide advice and expertise on all aspects of the process, for example, suitable dates to advertise, how to construct job specs, levels of pay expected and the best way to support interns and placement year students. We can quickly connect you with relevant faculty contacts and give advice around which degree disciplines to target.
Over the summer 2015 we successfully placed over 85 undergraduate students from a wide range of degree disciplines with local SMEs and charities. Some of the feedback we received from these companies included:
Just to let you know that Bethany is working really well with us at the moment and we're pleased with the service delivered by yourself and the careers team at Leeds University. We're looking to recruit further now.
Just a quick update to say things are working out really well with Sarah! Also, we are planning to keep her on for part time time-time work when she returns to uni in September.
Just wanted to say that both Frank and Jack have been really great and we definitely made good choices. They are lovely boys and very eager to learn and do well too.
We're so happy and impressed with Becky, she's already made such a huge impact in her first two weeks.
2. Graduate Internships projects for our new graduates.
Last winter we successfully placed 35 University of Leeds graduates with local and national SMEs. Feedback from employers has suggested that the initial subsidised internship period was an excellent opportunity for both the graduate and the employer to decide if a long term role could be carved out with the company. Over 50% of participating companies went on to offer their candidate a permanent job at the end of their internship.
3. Placement Years (Years in Industry)
Our 2nd year students are actively looking for year placements from the beginning of their 2nd year and we can help you write job specs and make sure that the most relevant students for your organisation get to find and apply for these opportunities.
Should you choose to advertise these year placement opportunities exclusively with the University of Leeds within this supported programme, we can collate applications for you and also help with the logistics of shortlisting and interviewing.
We are looking for a wide variety of projects in different sectors. Examples of previous projects include marketing, graphic design, IT, engineering, publishing, market research, social and digital media. We promote opportunities to a broad range of candidates and work with applicants to maximise the strength of the applications coming to you.
- You write a project or more than one if you have multiple projects. We can provide examples of previously advertised projects together with a blank project registration form for you to begin to write your project.
- We advertise the project/s on our exclusive vacancy database and heavily market the opportunities to our students and graduates through campus contacts, direct e-mails and social media.
- Students apply directly to us, which can save you manpower and time.
- After the closing date we forward all applications to you for shortlisting and liaise with you regarding interviews. Our Career Advisers may be able to help with shortlisting.
- We provide internship agreements.
1. Summer undergraduate internships will take place from the end of June for 8-12 weeks (we begin to source projects in February/March or earlier if you wish to advertise your summer internships earlier).
2. Graduate internships would begin any time after graduation each June for a minimum of 10 weeks.
3. Placement Year roles can begin any time between June and September for a minimum of 9 months.
(Summer and graduate internships) - £300 per week. We may have subsidies available (for SMEs and charities) to help towards this cost.
If you would like further information or to discuss potential project ideas, please contact Sarah Goldstone - S.Goldstone@leeds.ac.uk or 0113-343-5361.